- the White Party, a term i remember coming into intense popularity in the early 2000’s when Puff Daddy ( as he was known then) started having them annually. they faded off ( so i thought) and then came back to my attention in my late 20’s when i started reading about this all blanc party in the park held in France every year. as someone who loves a good theme party this peaked my interest as it sounded so chic and whimsical! fast forward to this year’s blanc party here in Vancouver and our first time attending.
- now please excuse me for saying that we had not attended or even considered attending in years past because while it all sounded very whimsical and fun, it also sounded like a hell of a lot of WORK. read on for a little more of my thoughts on this year’s gathering and decide for yourself if it’s your glass of vino….
What It Is
- the Diner En Blanc concept came to fruition almost 30 years ago in Paris, France helmed by François Pasquier. it is now attended by over 10,000 Parisians a year, a spectacular feat if you compare it to Vancouver’s few thousand this summer.
- this year Diner En Blanc was separated into 2 top secret locations, Oz and I attended courtesy of the Social Concierge and Concord Pacific as media guests, a big thank you to them as we would have been horribly cranky hauling our table, chairs and decor on our own! they hosted us in the media tent and entertained us at the newly unveiled pool at the Westin Bayshore, while the masses set up their above mentioned accoutrements. we nibbled on bites from Hawksworth in the media tent and people watched to our hearts content, but back to the ACTUAL process of Diner En Blanc.
- by bus, car or chartered automobile attendees arrive with their all white tables, chairs, and decor in their all white ensembles to find their Table Leader, this lovely person assigns them their seating arrangements and the guests commence set up. once your table is set up and your tablescape complete ( because it’s a contest, not really but YES) everyone must wait for the entire row to be complete before taking their seats. once seated, everyone lifts their snowy white napkin to signal dinner can start. you can of course bring your own food, or the best option, pre-order and pick up upon arrival. this year’s sponsor was Vital Supply and the offerings looked delicious! Vital Supply’s meals are locally made with locally sourced ingredients and the brand offers meal plans and delivery service in Vancouver.
- the dance floor opens once the dinner is finished and the sparklers are lit! if you can imagine hundreds of guests all dressed to impress in head to toe white waving sparklers in the twilight you can envision the epic Instagram moment that happens.
- once you’ve danced your shoes off, you clean up the shrapnel left over from your chic picnic ( because our parks are to be respected!) and head along on your merry way, hopefully Instagramming and Snapchatting away because if you didn’t put it on The Gram did it really happen?
- this was a treat for us to say the least, not only to be hosted and not have to schlep all that is needed for a successful dinner in the park but to just experience our breathtaking outdoor spaces! i mean, what’s not to love about being under a gorgeous blue sky, surrounded by people dressed to impress in white? the people watching was AMAZING, there are photo walls to take pictures with you and your friends, you can pre-order your meals and wine, and entertainment is provided for you throughout the evening, this year in the form of ballet dancers flitting through the tables and French folk singers sprinkled throughout.
- now for the truth of the matter, at first, this isn’t something Oz and I would ever take on on our own, we wouldn’t organize a table, assign our friends things to bring, schelp all that stuff to a venue ( or two) in all white clothing just to sit down in a park and eat food. however, upon attending our first Diner En Blanc we may have adjusted our thinking by the end of the night. here’s how we would do it: do a group of 4-6 people, bring your white tables, table cloths, lanters/twinkle lights, cutlery, plates, napkins and floral. order your food and wine and enjoy being outdoors with your friends and DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT! it’s not about taking part in a party that seems fussy, it’s about getting together, having fun and doing something outside of your normal, 9-5 everyday routine to make you smile, laugh and just appreciate a good opportunity when it presents itself.
- we had an awesome time and would definitely attend again should the lovely people at Concord Pacific, Diner En Blanc and The Social Concierge wish to have us again!
- if your curious to know if you can put together an all white outfit for under $100 dollars you would be RIGHT! ours are linked in our Instagram post with the help of the Like To Know It App, download or register HERE to get all the details to these two looks right to your inbox with links on where to buy.