– as a woman with a busy household and a man who has never cooked ( other than to poach eggs) a salad as a meal has become a staple in my home. as long as you have the ingredients you need on hand they are easy and fast to assemble and become quite addictive. long before i met my Italian i have loved a Caprese salad, and for me it’s one of the easiest salads to whip up and also can be transformed into other salads with different ingredients in a pinch. check out my go to below:
– living in the Burnaby Heights area of East Hastings street is such a blessing, i love that i can pop Mattias in his stroller and walk up to grab fresh bread at Valley Bakery, pick up some buratta cheese at Cioffi’s Deli and maybe grab a new kitchen gadget at Posh Pantry. i actually picked up the olive oil and balsamic reduction at Posh Pantry and the buratta at Cioffi’s before we shot this group of photos! that may be why this salad is a go-to favorite that we eat at least once a week, if not once a day sometimes. to mix it up i’ll throw in chicken or toasted bread, add in some arugula leaves or used Mozzarella de Bufala instead of buratta. instead of balsamic reduction, maybe some red wine vinegar with the olive oil. there’s lots of ways to make this salad your own, but here’s my recipe below:
– 1 avocado
– 1 cup of sliced grape/cherry tomaotes
– good quality olive oil
– balsamic reduction
– buratta cheese
salt and pepper
– slice the avocados in half ( or cube them if you prefer)
– add the sliced cherry tomatoes, cut open the buratta, it will be a very soft, almost runny cheese, add some flaked sea salt, a little pepper.
– drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over your salad, along with a tablespoon of the balsamic reduction, toss and enjoy!
– let us know what your favorite go-to recipes are for yourself or your family in the comments below!