As women, we have the tendency of putting ourselves last when it comes to self care. Whether we have children, are married, work full time, are single with two dogs (ahem), whatever the reason, we don’t always make the time to care for ourselves. Life is chaotic. The ease in which we so easily forget to put some time aside to treat ourselves takes no effort on our part at all. What does take effort is trying to remember to put that extra time aside. The importance of self care is essential in my opinion for our overall mental, physical and emotional health. It doesn’t need to be something that takes away from what you would do as part of your daily life, rather, I’m going to give you a few ways to incorporate it as part of what you already do.
I used to think that it wasn’t important to take care of my skin. I figured no matter what I did, my skin was eventually going to experience the signs of aging and that as that. Mind you, I was in my late teen’s, early 20’s when I thought so. After expressing interesting in makeup and learning how important skin care was, I began to understand the significance of self care.
I’ll be honest, I don’t always follow my own regimens religiously. I’m human after all and sometimes I just want a few extra minutes of sleep or I’m just too lazy that day to do anything. And yes, I have fallen asleep with my makeup on before and no, the skin care goddesses will not smite you. Your skin will not hate you forever if you do it once or twice (or three times). However, for the most part, I stick to a consistent regimen and that’s what I’m sharing with you today.
When putting together this regimen, I thought about what would be the easiest and most effective in the least amount of time. I like my sleep, so much so that I’m willing to forgo a lot to sleep even a few minutes longer. I’ve found that these tiny little steps have made a difference in my every day mood and have had a positive effect on my overall well-being.
5 Ways To Incorportate Self Care Every Morning
1) I start my mornings with a good stretch and a cup of hot water and lemon. You’ve likely heard of this before and yes, it really does have a positive effect on your help. Water should be the first thing you consume when you wake up anyways (yes, even before your cup of coffee), adding some lemon to it helps the alkalinity of your body’s pH and cleanses your organs. I also find it to be quite cozy and its a nice way to wake up.
2) I’ve recently started going swimming in the early mornings on my way to work. When I have a day off or something else planned for my morning, I skip the swim and get ready at home. I like to start most of my morning showers with dry brushing. It helps to promote cell renewals (by getting rid of dead skin), helps encourage circulation and lymphatic drainage with the results being smoother, brighter and healthier looking skin.
3) I subscribe to the notion that when you use products that feel good, smell good and work, you’re more likely to use them consistently. I also don’t believe that in order for a product to be efficient, it must be costly. Aveeno products check off all three of those needs for me. The lotions, yogurts, body wash and exfoliants do everything you need from a skin care line. They smell fantastic, feel good when using (they don’t lather up much which is important) and actually work effectively. And most importantly, they’re affordable. I like to replenish products that work but I do have a hard time sometimes justifying certain price points. In my mind, if I’m going to spend a lot of money, it better be magical. Luckily for me, Aveeno products work just as good and are much more wallet friendly. I’ve been using Aveeno as a daily body wash, exfoliant and body lotion and find that, because it checks off all my needs, I’m very consistent with my use. And by being consistent, I’m taking extra time towards self-care. Even the smallest of ways, such as using products that make you happy, can go far in how willing I (we) are to make extra time for ourselves each day.
4) You might not think that rubbing lotion all over your body after a shower or before bed is considered a step towards self-care. In my opinion, anything that helps towards overall betterment is considered self-care. And that includes caring for your skin, especially given that it’s our largest organ, and when you reach a certain age and your skin starts to change, taking extra care pays off. I always make sure to lotion myself up immediately after a shower or a bath for optimal moisturizing and using my Aveeno daily moisturizer has been keeping my skin feeling soft and smelling delicious (if I do say so myself).
5) Now, the last step might seem like a funny one but it’s been working for me so I’m sharing it with you. After I’ve lotioned myself all over, I wrap myself in a robe (a terry cloth one that feels of hotel quality) and just lay on my bed for 5 minutes. You could call it a type of meditation but lying still in my robe gives me a moment to center myself for a lack of better word. I don’t find that it fatigues me to want to fall back asleep, rather it helps get me going for the rest of my day. It also gives me a few extra minutes to allow for my lotion to further soak into my skin two benefits (yay!).
I hope these 5 steps that I incorporate in my daily life help you do the same if you aren’t yet. Time for self-care really does deserve to be put aside even for the busiest of people. A few extra steps combined with much of what we are already doing can make all the difference in how we feel every day. Share with us any self-care tips in the comments below.